From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:46:27 -0500
At 22:17 01/07/01, Mary Wolden wrote:
>According to Zone Alarm support it will work with ICS that runs on the
>same computer but not with NAT software on the same computer. Check
>their support page: http://www.zonealarm.com/support_za_ics.htm
>I was running NAT so it would not work on my network, installed on the
>gateway computer, even with IP addresses or computer names added to the
>local zone. As I remember, Zone Alarm 1.0 would not support ICS either.
>If you are running NAT then you will have to upgrade to Zone Alarm Pro
>to install Zone Alarm on the gateway computer. I had to many problems
>with ICS and use Sygate on my network. I could not get Zone Alarm 1.0
>to work installed on the gateway computer at all, with Sygate running
>on the same computer. It would not allow any computer except the
>gateway to access the internet.

The free version of Zone Alarm is at version 2.1.44 now. Zone Alarm Pro
(which uses the same firewall technology) has a much more configurable
front end but costs $40 for a single user license.

ZA will work on the gateway computer (the one with the NAT software
installed and the direct connection to the Internet) but only when
set back to ZA's "medium security" setting (**).

The NAT client computers (ZA must also be installed on each of them)
can run with ZA at the "high security" setting (***).

Zone Alarm Pro adds the ability to run at the high security setting on
the gateway computer. (ZA free should be run on the client computers
to add outbound protection for these computers.)

There is a trick that can let you use the free Zone Alarm at the high
security setting on the gateway computer. After you boot the gateway,
you have to shutdown the NAT software and then restart it. (In other
words, ZA can only run at the high security setting if ZA loads before
the NAT software.) This odd work around has been confirmed by a Zone
Labs spokesperson. I have not however checked it out myself. Since
you don't have to pay anything for ZA 2.1.44, why not try this out
and see if it works with your NAT setup?

(**) ZA's "medium security" setting blocks Internet access to your
computer's windows services and file/printer sharing and allows only
programs that you have explicitly given permission to to "call out"
(access the Internet). The medium security setting does leave your
computer and its services visible to the Internet.

(***) ZA's "high security" setting blocks all traffic other than
outgoing DNS and DHCP broadcasts. It allows Internet access only to
programs that you have give permission to. ZA's high security setting
leaves your computer invisible to the Internet. (Of course, replies
to network activity that you have initiated are allowed back in.)

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html