From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:38:21 -0400
Will Stephenson wrote:
> I have a client whose network is beginning to grow beyond the 4 port router
> that had previously served them well. I'd like to attach the old 4 port
> router to the new 8 port router and have it act like a switch/hub. Is this
> possible? If so, what changes do I need to make to the old router to make
> that happen? (I did disable the old router's DHCP)

Mmm, maybe. You could simply try linking a cross-over cable between the
two units (say from port 1 to port 8, or from port 1 to port 4).  A
regular cable probably won't do it, unless one of the units has an
MDI/MDI-X button/switch somewhere for an "uplink" port.  But if one of
the units is a switch (not a hub), sometimes the switch ports will
auto-configure so it doesn't matter what cable you use.

OTOH, prices on simply 8-port gigabit switches are darned cheap
($80-$120?).  And you can even get "smart" 16-port/24-port gigabit
switches for $250-$350.  Those "smart" switches have a web interface
that lets you setup VLANs, trunks, and a few other nice tricks.

I used an 8-port 3com gigabit switch for a few years, but I'm much
happier with the 16-port SMC that lets me experiment with more advanced
LAN features.  The 8-port 3com unit was simply hung off of the 4-port
router/switch (don't even think I used a crossover cable).