From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:24:40 -0000
Hi Derek or David,
I don't know who gets this besides the group.

I have both Drive Image 4.0 and Norton Ghost 2001 (v6.5).
Both have different uses to me so I use both.
Norton Ghost 6.5 I use to clone my operating systems for the purpose David
is asking.  I can ruin W2k with an application and registry entries so that
I cannot even boot back.  I can restore to original in 15-30minutes with
Norton Ghost.  (also with Drive Image)

The reason I prefer N.G. is that it restores without having to do anything
to the partition (it does it for you).

Drive Image requires that in order to restore a partition, it must be
restored to an unallocated space (it will prompt you do delete your
partition before restoring). This messes your MBR.
The solution with PM is when completed, issue the command form dos:Fdisk
/MBR.
I also had problem with DI that in W2k that it would not copy some hidden
folders correctly (sam). I could not boot into a W2k restored partition
(bumber). That was when I started using NG to restore o/s.

The advantage DI has over NG (the reason I keep it), is that it allows you
to restore individual files or directories from a complete image set such as
an imaged partition.
This is done in windows.  It is sensitive to other cdrw softwares such as
VOB's Instant Write, which doesn't allow DI's explorer to see CDimage files
correctly.???

NGhost may be able to do what DI does concerning individual file restore, I
just have not explored NG for that yet.

God Bless.