From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:56:49 -0700
> Would the addition of 128 MB Ram make much difference in a PII 400 system that already has 128 MB??  I use the system mostly for surfing and tinkering and actually do a little work occasionally using MS PowerPoint and Word and a proprietary presentation program.  I run the command line version of SETI 24/7 and tend to have several applications open at the same time.  TIA
 IANAT(I am not a technition) but I recently did a similar upgrade on my computer. I did notice that it was a bit faster in finding files for me and that the ram did not go into optimazation mode as often as it use to. I do not run Quake or DOOM. And I only use auto cad LT 2000 and barely at that I use it to open plans that have been sent to me in that form. I like having the extra RAM though not because of the huge differnces it makes but the subtle ones. I will admit this althou it may be a placebo affect it appears to be a bit more stable when I have muliple applications running. I will often have 5 or 6 IE windows open and winamp playing MP3's in the back ground and my outlook express checking every 5 minutes. It would get real nasty and IE would likley bog out on me before that doesn't happen as much. I will say without a professional indepth search that I think the extra RAM helped. I do not think I would need much more than 256k but if I had a chance to add extra RAM to it would I ? Yuppers. I run win 98se so don't use this if you have win2k requirments are much higher for that it is a mem hog  from what I have read.