From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:19:04 -0400
You hit a nerve!!!  Unless you have everything laying around
including lots of the proper RAM, (FPM,SIMM,DIMM, EDO,
SDRAM, etc...)  it really does not "pay" to buy into "old" technology
in a big way...  You can't count of sticking your old Win95a
on one of these modern (especially low-end) motherboards.
Even Win95b is not "totally" supported either (or easy to get working
sometimes) soooo, you wind up spending more than you meant too.
If you really want a low end system look for a good used one...
$175+ up...  Or a new one, (cheap e-mail machine), for $400
(no rebate...).  Add in a low-end 17 inch monitor, (you say the
guy is old?), and you are right up to about the 8 or 9 hundred an
entry level "complete system" is selling for in this area.
You can spend a lot on an old machine, and
if one of those "old parts" goes, where are your going to get
a replacement to get it running again...  Time to put soap box away.
                        Rick