From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:32:18 -0800
Michele,

Based on your description, I don't know whether the problem was with Linux
FDISK or with understanding how to use it. It may be appropriate to mention
also that there are actually three versions of FDISK utilities under Linux.
They are sort of "simple", "average", and "expert". The expert version does
a lot, but is rather cryptic to use.

A little information on partitions may be appropriate here also. A partition
table on a hard disk is a standard area that all manufacturers somehow
agreed to use as an identifier of how the disk is being used. The partition
table may contain up to 4 partitions. A partition can be primary or
extended. There can be only one extended partition per partition table. An
extended partition can contain logical drives. To delete an extended
partition, it is necessary to first delete the logical drive, and then
delete the partition itself. Thus, it is a two step process for an extended
partition with a logical drive.

Hope this helps explain some of the partition magic (pun intended).

Peter
The NoSpin Group