From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:45:00 -0800
At 06:46 AM 12/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone recommend software to thoroughly test PC100 DIMM's in an ASUS BX
>motherboard, preferably from DOS?

There are a number of programs that will do this. If you have Norton
Utilities you could use NDIAGS .
Some of the best programs are Ram Exam, MicroScope, Ultra X but these are
not cheap ...$100  US and up. Keep in mind that you can test your ram and
pass all test and still have bad ram. Windows treats memory differently and
far more aggressively then DOS and while you can pass every software test
available you could still have problems caused by bad or incompatible RAM
while in windows. I know of no good test that works while in windows.

There are hardware RAM testers that Vendors and Manufactures use but these
are very expensive and constantly changing with new Chips. The best thing
you can do if you suspect a RAM problem is to swap it out with a known good
module and see it the problem goes away. If it works your RAM is bad...or
maybe just incompatible for that board.

>My computer's been bluescreening, even from clean installs; I'm guessing
>this is the most likely culprit now and would like to be sure.
>
>Philo

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html