From:
Kay McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:16:59 -0400
As the automation manager of a small library system,  I have some experience
in managing a web site on an NT IIS server.  We have 6 branches with NT
servers running IIS ( I can't figure out what version;  I think it is what
came with the NT 4.0 Option Pack)   I am now trying to set up a new web
server -- which I have never done before.  I planned to duplicate the
existing servers as closely as possible so that I could assist the
librarians in troubleshooting their servers when necessary.   However.....

I installed the NT server operating system, and immediately installed SP 6a.
Then I tried to install the 4.0 Option Pack.  But, the Option Pack is too
old to recognize SP6a, and so it won't install.  So - without starting over,
it seems I will not easily duplicate the exact setup being used in the
libraries.   That being so, I decided I should just get the latest version
of IIS and install that.  However, I don't see any evidence of it being
available as a download off Microsoft's page.  I see IIS 4.0 -- but even it
won't install with SP6a already installed.    I'm still thinking some
version of IIS would be close enough to the library's setup to be able to
help them troubleshoot...

Is IIS 5.1 available as a free upgrade from Microsoft?

If I go to the trouble of reinstalling NT so that I can install SP3.0 and
then the 4.0 Option Pack, what version of IIS will I have then?  I don't
know if the 4.0 referrs to NT 4.0 or IIS 4.0.

How much better off would I be if I forget about duplicating the library
servers and upgrade to Win2000 server?

Thanks for any help from those of you experienced in setting up Microsoft
web servers.

Kay McCoy
Automation Manager
Fayette County Public Libraries