From:
Natasha Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:38:36 +0000
Please help me configure this CD-ROM properly. I have a Pentium computer
running Win 95 ver. 4.00.950A. The CD is a US Drive 36x v 1.04 set as the
secondary master. The primary master HDD has the c: and d: drives. The CD
is set up as e:. It works fine in DOS and Windows sees it in Device Manager
now, after I changed the CMOS settings.

But when ir REM out the config.sys and autoexec.bat lines for the CD, it
will not work. The first boot after changing the CMOS settings, Device
Manager assigned it to IRQ 5, but now it will not give it an IRQ, only an
I/O range of 0230-0237. It goes on to say that the device is not present,
not working properly or does not have the proper drivers installed.

The hard disk controller is a CMD-PCI-0646 Bus Master PCI to IDE
controller; the primary and secondary IDE controllers under it have the
yellow exclamation point over them and says they are not present, not
working properly or do not have the proper drivers installed. The c and d
drives are using DOS compatibility mode file system.

I do not know the maker of the motherboard (unless this line: P5V580-AT-C
Version 3.03 that I see during POST tests is it?) but the BIOS is an Award
Modular Bios v 4.51PG with an Award Plug and Play BIOS ext v. 1.0A . I read
in Bob Wright's column about a possible problem with the pre-1998 BIOS and
CD-ROMs but I don't know how to find out what chip-set I have. I cannot see
anything on the motherboard to identify it.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

David Cooley

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org