From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:26:49 -0500
(I)Jack R. Payton wrote: "I thought Win98SE had a System Restore program
which gives you the option of restoring your registry to an earlier point
when it was running correctly?"

Hal Trachtenberg commented: "This is only an option in Windows ME. It
never existed in Windows 98 or 98SE. However, one can still restore their
system to an earlier registry by using the scanreg/restore command from
either MS-DOS mode, or if I am not mistaken also from Start/Run, and
typing scanreg/restore. Windows backs up its registry on it's own.

Further comment (JP): I'm sure Hal is right, at least up to a point.
Pre-WinME versions did have both an autobackup of the registry, and the
scanreg /restore command to restore the registry to the *.bak version of
the registry. Unfortunately, in the version where Windows made the
automatic *.bak registry files, it would write the backup the current
*.sys files by writing them over the old *.bak files, so the backup
registry files were only as good as the current registry files.

In our experience, if you didn't get the registry problem solved before
Windows made a backup of the *corrupt* registry files, when registry was
restored, it would be restored with corrupt backup files - back to square
one. That's why I suggested creating batch files to do a manual backup of
the registry files (system.dat and user.dat) in a different folder. That
way you would always have a reasonably useful set of registry files.

jack payton

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml