From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:54:17 +0100
Frank B Smith said:
>I have been told that the CPU temp peaks immediately upon
>shutdown... I assume this is because the fans all stop, but
>the heat buildup hasn't dissipated...

No - the core temperature of the CPU always falls at power-down,
because heat generation ceases but heat dissipation does not.

However, the _surface_ temperature of the CPU may increase
temporarily because reduced airflow increases the thermal
resistance of the package-air interface. This alters the
temperature gradients in the conduction path. Eventually,
all the heat leaks away and the package cools to ambient.

Since it is the temperature of all those sensitive little
semiconductors in the core of the chip which matters, this
rise in surface temperature is of little consequence.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933