From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:36:00 -0500
Go to Control Panel.
Open the Icon "System"
Click on the Tab, "System Restore"
Select each available drive, (one at a time), and click settings.
See what percentage of the individual drives you have allocated
for the restore files,  (Min, Max, or in between...), and how much
actual space is allocated on the system drive, (or to a lesser extent)
drives with programs installed.  I keep all my programs on "C" for
ease of backup. (Lots of data is on the other drives.)
All my drives are set to 12% (Max), since I do not care how much
drive space I let it use because I have big partitions with lots of room...

I just counted, (WOW), I have 37 restore points...
(I am an active installer and un-installer...) Might be time to cut back
on my settings. <grin>)
I have from 2.5G to 6.5G ("C" has 4.5G) set aside for system restore
on drives that actually belong in this computer. I have a data drive in
here from another system and the numbers are more like 400-600M,
(since it is small to begin with) but those drives will not have the type
of activity that system restore watches for and was designed to protect.
System restore is NOT to be confused with a general purpose back-up
program. It only "cares" about system files and other stuff directly
concerned with the proper operation of Windows.
(Bad explanation of that last part, but I don't use system restore to
fix anything, so I did not study up on it too much...)

When all else fails, a bigger hard drive might be the only way to get
back what you once had... -- (Breathing room for "stuff" on the drives...)
Either that or put the drives on a "data" diet, or uninstall (properly) some
programs to make space, etc...

                                            Rick Glazier

(I really am going to quit procrastinating, next week sometime.)

From: "Michael A. Wosnick" > For some reason, my system has stopped