From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2010 11:46:54 -0500
The decision tree on p.97-98 recapitualted pretty
much what I had already done on my own.
I disconnected the SATA cable from the mb
and set the BIOS (I already had) to Load Fail-Safe
default. Then reinstall SATA hd. Again after mb
splash screen there is nothing but a cursor and
small image of N on the monitor. The video is
onboard of the mb and it shows me the splash
screen and the BIOS interface normally.

Without a harddrive installed, is it normal for the
computer to show nothing on the screen, like
for example No Boot Device found? Even with
a bad harddrive, shouldnt the screen report something
after bootup?

The decision tree at this point reads "The IDE/SATA
device, connector or cable might fail."  The cable
is okay, the connector is a mb issue so apparently
it is a bad hd. Or is it?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

From: Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, May 30, 2010 5:38 am
To: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for writing.

The HD is recognized in the BIOS. I set the
bootup sequence to CD and tried the WinXP install
disk. Same symptom: the motherboard splash
screen displays and then a blank screen with
a cursor at left top and a small image of the letter
N. without any system information scrolling by.

I removed and reseated the RAM memory
which did not solve the issue. On startup the
beep code is a single beep. Also on startup
there are a series of 3 or 4 clicks audible.
With a screwdriver stethoscope I can hear
the hd motor running.

There were no indications prior to the failure;
the computer was working normally the
previous day.

I welcome any suggestions.

Michael Eisenstadt