From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:49:16 -0400
Brad wrote:

> THEY are great...go to www.newegg.com for great selection and prices...look
> to get at least a 800:1 contrast ration and a 19" wide screen will run ya
> around 200-300...depending on the contrast ratio and other features..enjoy.

Note that NewEgg only offers an 8 pixel replacement policy.  So you may
want to purchase LCD monitors from another store or look for LCDs that
are warrantied by the manufacturer to be free from defect.

(Kind of an odd policy for NewEgg.  I tend to recommend them for anyone
in the eastern US because of their depot locations which results in 1-3
day ground shipping.)

Fairly comparable.  The big issue with LCDs is that they are not as
flexible as CRTs.  Their native resolution is the only one that will
look perfect whereas a CRT can change resolutions mostly flawlessly.
It's really only a concern for gamers who like to drop the game's
resolution in order to turn up eye candy.

Prices for the 17" and 19" LCD market are competitive with the 17" and
19" CRT market.  Here are some sample prices for ones that I've been
looking at:

XGA 17" 1024x768 - $150
SXGA 19" 0.294 1280x1024 - $180
WXGA+ 1400x900 0.285 19" $190
WSXGA 1680x1050 0.258 20" $290
UXGA 1600x1200 0.255 20" $360

The 17" LCDs have almost been pushed out of the market by the new 19"
1280x1024 units.  The WXGA+ units are also very reasonably priced and
still provide more pixels then the older XGA displays.

I find it easier to read text on an LCD display.

> Do I need one that has a DVI connection?

Only if your video card has a DVI connector on it.  Most (not all) LCDs
now come with both VGA (D-SUB) and DVI connectors.  Some folks will say
that you get better image results using the DVI connector, but that will
vary depending on what LCD you own and what video card is installed.

> Size?

There are 2 main pixel densities to consider.  The 0.25mm size and the
0.295mm size.  The second pixel size will result in text that is 1/5
larger then the 0.25mm displays.  It might help to say what your current
monitor is, what resolution you run it at and whether you find text to
be too large / too small.

The 19" SXGA and 19" WXGA+ units all seem to have the larger dot pitch
which results in easier to read text without resorting to using "large
fonts" in windows.

The size you purchase may also be determined by how much you are willing
to spend.  You can get (2) 19" SXGA displays for the price of a single
UXGA display (i.e. set up the 2 SXGA displays in a dual-monitor
configuration).

> I heard that some people have a problem with dead pixels.
>
> Is this a big problem?

I think it's pretty rare now compared to early runs of LCD glass from
the manufacturers.  But if you're at all worried, be sure to purchase
from a store with a good dead pixel policy.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads