From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 06:45:35 -0400
Though I don't have a direct answer to your question, I can think of a
couple of reasons that HP might be suggesting some limitations to what hard
drives their laptop can support.  If this is an older laptop, the BIOS may
have limitations to what size drive it can correctly recognize.  The other
concern would be how much heat the hard drive generates.  HP may be figuring
that a larger and higher rpm drive will generate more heat than was factored
into the design for this particular laptop.  A hard drive that isn't
adequetely cooled is at a greater risk of failure.

Power consumption might be another concern; the importance of which would
depend on how much you use the laptop on battery power.

This isn't to say that you can't use a Seagate drive, purchased from NewEgg
for example, to save money, but there might be some good reasons for HP to
steer you away from the biggest and the fastest of these models for your
laptop.

These are mostly speculations; so, I look forward to the input of others on
this question as well.

John Sproule