Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:01:35 -0700
 Recently I am having problems w my floppy drive and all of my hard drives
when configured as Primary slave.My primary master/ boot drive C has no
apparent problems.
I no longer have access to the A:\. I have swapped it out for a known good
one but still it doesn't recognized ANY floppies as formatted.
My Primary Slave drive is also showing up as unformatted as well.
I have a Master Slave setup on the 2nd IDE channel for 52x cdrom/24x CDR
burner and so far no issues with these. It only seems to be affecting my
physical hard drives and floppy drives.
I have the latest virus definitions of Norton AV
and no viruses are being found.
I can take any physical hard drive out of this system that are being
detected as unformatted and put into another system and all partitions
etc.... are recognized in fdisk, and in Windows.
However, in this system I have no way to get into fdisk except by booting
directly into the command prompt via f8 then pathing it to the
windows/command/fdisk. No partitions are being recognized in fdisk,or
windows for the primary slave drive even though I know they are there. The
only thing I haven't tried yet is to change the position of the primary
slave to master 2nd. Because I am having the same issue with the A:\ I don't
think this will resolve anything.
This indicates to me that I have either the bios chip going bad/ dying or
something in the IDE bus channels are failing.
When I boot using the C:\ into windows it is rock solid. No crashes,etc...
When I try to add any new drives etc.... no recognition as a formatted hard
drive.
Any knowledgeable techs chime in.

Please Advise

Barry Clark