Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:33:20 +0100
Hi, thanks for your reply, I've found it interesting also regarding the
reading of the RAM, as neither the manufacturer or the seller has mentioned
this to me.
I contacted the person I bought it from, and he has agreed to supply me with
a replacement board, which will arrive by mail, so it will be at least a few
days yet.
The funny thing was, without the RAM, I was getting a beep code which didn't
match any of the ones on the Pheonix list. I was getting a sequence of
1/3/3/1.
According to all of the lists I have seen so far, this one does not exist.
(Only I can get a non-existent beep code!)
Once the ram was inserted, the beeps stopped.
I've cleared the CMOS untold times now, it's not that.
Also, it couldn't possibly be a conflict with any other hardware due to be
used, as nothing else is connected so far. I even took the board out of the
case and connected it to the power supply whilst it was on the table, but
still the same, it lights up, and that's it.
I have inspected the board really carefully, and I've come across what looks
like a scratch of some sort across the back of the board. I'm sure it's not
meant to be there.
I'm wondering now if this 'scratch' could be breaking some connection or
other, I suppose it's a possibility.
The board is new.
Anyway, I'm expecting a replacement pretty soon, and when it does come, I'm
going to try the suggestion about the RAM if I'm running into the same
problems yet again.
Thanx everyone for your suggestions, I'll keep you posted on this one.
Michele Sayer

Dear Michele:

I have found that the 810e chipset has trouble reading some PC100 SDRAM
modules.  If this is the problem you will usually get a memory error.  But
if
you did have this error without the display you could have the condition you
describe.  To eliminate this possible issue I would test your system with a
single 128 MB PC100/16 low density ram module 16Mx64 non ECC, CAS 3 latency.

The two processors test all but eliminates the CPU.  Both ram and CPU are
rated for the same bus speed so that is not the issue.  You could have a bad
motherboard or even a bad parameter in the BIOS.  I am sure you know to
reset
the jumper to clear the system to the default setting.

A clearing of the BIOS would not eliminate the boot sequence in the default;
usually Floppy, HD and CD-ROM.  You do not mention what hard drive and
floppy
drive you are using.  This system board is ACPI compliant so make sure all
of
your hardware will meet this standard.  A conflict there could also cause
this condition. Finally, when you solve these display problems make sure the
operating system is Win 98 SE or better as ACPI boards need an ACPI
operating
system.

Let me know what you find out as this problem sounds interesting.

Regards,
Mike Scott

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml