From:
Carl Houseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:34:23 -0400
>HT only works in XP or 2003 Server

This is not correct.  HT "works" with any multi-processor build of Windows
NT-based OS.  With XP and 2003 it works BETTER because those systems know
the difference between a virtual processor and a physical processor.   NT
and 2000 will not schedule the virtual processors as efficiently.

>applications must be written to support HT

This is not necessary to experience improved performance.  Windows NT is a
multi-tasking OS that can do more than one thing at a time and when multiple
processes or threads are active at once they can run on different virtual
processors.   The result will be overall greater performance than a non-HT
processor of the same speed.  Granted, it's not that much greater, but
Windows will keep both "processors" going.

Carl