From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:03:55 -0700
If you simply want to access files that are on your old hard drive, you
can set the old drive as a slave and install it in the new computer and
then use Windows Explorer to transfer the files to the new drive.
However, if you are trying to run programs off of the old drive, in most
cases it will not work. Most programs install themselves not only in a
distinct folder, but also portions install in the Windows folder and
entries are made in the registry. For those programs, a new installation
is necessary and the associated data files can be transferred and used
after the new installation. A few programs remain autonomous and will
run without needing to be reinstalled.

Tom Mayer

SRS wrote:
> Hello All,  I posted a few weeks back about possible motherboard/cpu
> problem with old computer.  I have purchased new system.  Also
> purchased Desktop DNA Migrator; however, there is one problem.  It
> requires installation on both computers.  I purchased an external hard
> drive case and put in old hard drive.  I am able to access most
> files.  Some say  'Windows does not know what program created this
> file, and is unable to open it"  The option to choose from a list does
> not help either.  Well, if Windows doesn't know, then who does?
> O:-)      If anyone is familiar with this program, I would appreciate
> any input on how to transfer data from old hard drive to new hard
> drive Windows XP is on both hard drives, old is 80gig and new is 160 gig.
> stephen r stanfield
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>