From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:39:44 -0800
Russ,

This could be an issue because the computer is fairly old. Windows 2000 and
later require by default that the BIOS support ACPI in order for them to be
able to power off the computer. ACPI is the preferred interface for
interrupts and such, but older systems may only support APM.

While there may be a BIOS option to enable ACPI, older systems may have a
buggy implementation, which may cause problems. Also, just turning it on
takes special handling to do a "repair install" of WIndows XP because ACPI
requires a different HAL. While Windows 2000 had no other option to solve
this but to change to ACPI in the BIOS, Windows XP has a built-in solution.
See the MS knowledge base article at..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313290

HTH,
Russ Poffenberger

At 02:38 PM 1/16/2006, you wrote:
>I have a Packard Bell computer (366 MHz Celeron, 392 M RAM, 8 GB HD) which
>was running Win98SE and running ok. I upgraded it to Win XP Home which is
>running just fine, but now when I shut it down, I get the "It's safe to
>turn your computer off" message after XP shuts down and I have to manually
>shut the computer off (5 seconds). When it was running Win 98SE, it
>automatically turned the computer off when I shut down Win.
>Where is the control that will automatically turn the computer off when XP
>shuts down?
>Russ Cox

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>