From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 18:21:58 -0800
On 26 Jan 00, at 16:44, Dharam Bhardwaj wrote:

> I need to move the NT4 Server on a P166 to another computer that I am
> assembling. Most components including the scsi controller will be
> different. I was thinking of taking an image of the hard drive and
> copying it to the new computer. Will this work or will  I have to do a
> rebuild? Or will I have to create the new machine as a BDC first? I have
> not done this before. Downtime is not an issue.
> Regards,
> Dharam

  If the existing server is a PDC, then the way you replace it is to
bring its replacement onto the network as a BDC, sync it with the
PDC, and then promote it and demote the old PDC.  This means there is
a point where both machines are operational on the net, which limits
how much of their hardware can be shared....

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org