From:
Gorden McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:15:47 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] PCBUILD- CD Rom Drivers
> Date: Tuesday, June 23, 1998 10:21 AM
>
> I am working on a friends computer(a Packard Bell) and it has come up
that
> we need a CD Rom DOS driver for his 8x CD Rom.  He said it would detect
it
> if you put the Packard Bell Emergency disk in, but the system locks up
when
> you put in that disk. I tried looking at PBs site, but I couldn't get the
> search engine working.  Here are all the serial and model numbers:
>
> CD-ROM
> S/N- GSCD63434074
> MODEL #- GCD-R580B

I found that the semi universal driver Roxanne told us about seems to work
on just about any CD Rom you might give it a try
The following is a cut and paste from her message.

............B E G I N of P A S T E

Everyone else:  For those of you want or need the semi-universal CD-ROM
driver
that I have found recognizes most modern CD-ROM's, I have posted it on my
FTP
site at:

ftp://ftp.connectnet.com/pub/users/r2sys/outgoing/

The file name is D011V200.SYS

The statement I use in the config.sys on my 3.5" floppy disk is:

device=d011v200.sys /D:MSCD001

...and the corresponding statement in the 3.5" floppy disk's autoexec.bat
is:

a:\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001

Note:  I also have himem.sys loading in the config.sys on the bootable
floppy.
 At least one of the Win95 versions wants himem.sys in order to load (I
*think*
Win95B).  That statement is:

device=himem.sys

Of course, all three files (d011v200.sys, mscdex.exe, and himem.sys) reside
in
the root of the 3.5" floppy.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego