From:
Barry K Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 07:19:18 -0500
On Fri, 3 May 2002 14:55:42 +1200, Ian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sounds like it could be just a bad plug.  You might consider buying an
>extension lead, then taping up, very strongly and securely, the connection
>between your current 'end' plug and the new one.  Then, try and keep that
>taped connection out of the way and as immobile as possible.
>Alternatively of course, replace the plug, but it's not the easiest of jobs.
>
>Ian Porter
>Computer Guys
>Arrowtown
>New Zealand

It's more likely that the socket on your video card has dry/fractured solder joints as, unless you are frequently connecting/diconnecting your monitor, the plug will be OK. If you can use a soldering iron proficiently, I suggest removing the card and resoldering all the joints to the socket, making sure you don't bridge any with excess solder and see if that cures it before trying to relace the cable on the monitor. BTW always make sure that any plugs at the back of the computer are protected from any accidental knocks or pulling on cables as that can cause damage to both plugs and sockets!
Hope this helps.