Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:25:35 -0800
Hi, Peter,

Thank you for your advice.  The fans were running fine, so I cleaned all
the vents and set the computer on a rafia mat to give it more air
circulation.
The flicker and fade has ceased!

Unfortunately, now I  have a new issue:  the computer turns itself off.
It will do it after a few minutes, or sometimes after an hour.  It
doesn't matter whether or not I'm on line.  It just turns itself off.
When I re-start, everything proceeds as normal, until it decides to turn
itself off again.  Any advice?

Thank you,]
Erif.

On 3/23/2013 10:04 PM, Peter Ekkerman wrote:
> Hi Erif,
>
> Sounds like video card problems. Unfortunately somewhat common on the Inspiron line.
> Overheating of the video section can cause the same symptoms.
> Make sure that all vents are clean and free of obstructions and that the cooling fans are running.
>
> While it's certainly possible that an update installed the wrong drivers - which Microsoft did a few times to me
> with the ATI drivers, the fact that it happens after using the laptop for some time ,makes me believe it's heat related.
> This could be the graphics processor or video RAM  as well that are affected.
>
> Try the cleanup and fan check first .Also do a temperature and voltage check of the internals -
>   I think you have a Dell utility for that on the laptop.
>   If no luck ,the video card may have to be replaced. While it can be done ,it's a tricky job for an inexperienced person.
>
> Other things to try:
> To exclude problems with the display screen and its connections, set the video output to external and connect
> an external monitor to the video connector of the laptop.
> Go to the Dell Support page and input your model.  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs
> Check Dell forums  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspx
>
> Make sure you have no malware running anywhere. If not done yet ,do a thorough scan.
> While I haven't personally experienced video corruption due to a virus ,
> I have it from several reports that drivers can be (were) corrupted because of a virus.
>
> Peter E.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>