From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:02:37 -0700
Sharon

As to the restore function, I have not encountered this error message,
but I have a couple of thoughts on it. The account you are using to log
in may not have Administrative authority. When starting in safe mode you
should be given an option to log in under 2 or more accounts with one of
them being Administrator. Selecting Administrator may resolve this
situation and also allow sfc/scannow to run. AND/OR the hard drive could
be too full to establish a restore file (unlikely).

The RPC error message could be caused by the computer not being
connected to the internet. Assuming you have reconnected the network
cable, try to "repair" the internet connection. If there is a task tray
icon for the internet connection, right click on it and select repair.
You can also check on the status while there.  If there is not a tray
icon, go to start/programs/accessories/communication/network
connections. By right clicking on the Internet Connection and the LAN
connection, you can check the status and do a repair. If the
connection(s) are disabled for whatever reason, you can enable it/them.

Don't kill hubby. He is helping you increase your computer knowledge.

Tom

Sharon wrote:
> ok I tried all of what I was told by you all but can't do a system restore it gives an error "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer" which is what I get when I try anything. tried to run the sfc /scannow and it wouldn't, tried run, cmd, sfc /scannow got Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
> The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable
> . I did disconnect the network cable and ran AVG, AVAST, Spybot S&D on my computer and all is clean. I replied before but didn't see it show up. HELP before I kill this hubby of mine (who click the ad and got us in trouble).

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>