From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:03:13 -0500
There are two issues, hardware and software.

First, hardware.  A desktop hard drive will likely not work in a notebook,
but will likely work in another desktop, provided there are connectors for
it.  The problem is that we are in a transitional period where drives are
changing over to SATA.  I assume that this is one of the older drives, not
SATA.  A new computer "should" have connectors for the older drives, but it
might not.  If it does, then there is no sweat.  You just have to make sure
that it is jumpered properly as the master or slave.

Second, software.  Are you replacing the main drive in the new computer with
the old drive?

If yes, then the operating system, if Windows XP or later, might balk at all
the new hardware.  Also, the hardware drivers for the old system will be
present, not the drivers for the new system.  You may have to find new
drivers.  This would include motherboard, video, sound, etc.

If no, then the drive should work fine, but not necessarily the programs.
Many programs make registry changes at installation time.  The registry will
be on the new disk, not the old one.  You will need to reinstall the
programs, and this could run into a licensing problem.

---

Your statement, "it is running ..." is somewhat ambiguous.  Which, the old
or the new or both?  If old, is it an oem version of XP or a full version
that you purchased?

The "new computer" is not clear - are you building this, is it a complete,
generic computer, or is it a proprietary computer such as HP or Dell?

A clarification of what you are trying to do as well as more information on
the two computers would possibly permit a more accurate and less ambiguous
answer.

HTH

Dean Kukral