From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:45:28 -0700
At 06:09 AM 3/27/99 , Elliott Ryder  wrote:
>        I have a Pentium II 350MHz with 64Meg RAM, etc. Nowadays about every ten
>minutes, no matter which program (32 bit) I am running the computer will
>feeze up and only a reboot will allow me to work again. Have checked that
>the fan is working and have run SCANDISK and DEFRAG and REGCLEAN and have
>checked that the boards are in securely. Any suggestion as to what I can
>further check would be very much appreciated.
>        Elliott

Typically, this is a heat issue.   You could have a hard drive going
bad generating a great deal of heat, you could have a power supply
plugged with dust, you could have the vents in the case plugged
with dust...  many things you need to check.   Try taking the cover
off the case, blow out as much dust as you can, (using an air
compressor to blow out the power supply and inside the case is
a good idea).  Once the cover is off and the system has good air
circulation around it, it should not lock up.   If it will run fine like this
then heat is your problem.  Try these things:

1) Make sure your CPU heatsink/fan is installed tight to the CPU
2) Make sure the ribbon cables tucked neatly inside to allow air
    flow
3) Install a larger heatsink/fan to the CPU (about $15)
4) Install an additional case fan   (about $10)
5) Install an air recycler in the case   (about $35)
         http://www.vantecusa.com/misc.htm

                 Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org