From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:06:52 -0700
Donna Parsons wrote:
>I recently bought a Kensington Desktop Vacuum to use on my desktop
computing equipment.
>The instructions that came with it only talk about proper maintenance of
the vacuum and not much about how I can safely use it with my computer
>equipment or WHICH equipment.
>I also bought a can of Memorex Air Duster and again, no instructions on
what equipment I can safely clean with it or how.

What you are experiencing is legal mumbo jumbo. Legal departments know that
if something goes wrong, a law suit will be filed. There are no specific
instructions due to the fact that either of these mediums in the hands of an
untrained person could spell the end for their computer.

The link below, if it goes through is one way to clean the innards of a
computer. The instructions are provided by Fred Langa of the Langalist which
I have been a part of for many years. Being in the computer business, I try
to stay on the forefront of technology in order to better serve my clients.

The following instructions are presented with pictures for those who may
want to open the box and do it themselves. However, if you are going to open
the box please gain as much knowledge as you can before doing so to save
yourself a possible heartache with a "busted" computer. The old Cliché, "An
ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" applies here.

One of the drawbacks of playing around inside the box is ESD. Electrostatic
Discharge. I won't go into a lot of detail here because the main gist of the
post is cleaning the dust bunnies out of the interior allowing for a cooler
environment for the heat sensitive components. ESD will fry a component just
like a bolt of lightning. Please be cautious in this area.
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403472

If this link works, please view it before jumping into the deep end. This is
meant to be suggestive and may not pertain to your specific situation or
level of expertise. The description may be a little dated however the
outlined principles should be relevant to what you intend to do.

>I've had computers for years, but have never attempted to clean one, more
than just dusting with a soft cloth on the outside.

Most people don't think about the inside of the case. There are people who
put their towers on the floor. This is a place where dust will accumulate
faster than any place I know of. Not to mention animal hair if you have
pets. Dust will kill your computer. Example; my system is an Intel 875
board, a P4 Extreme CPU with a Zalman CPU cooler. http://www.zalman.co.kr/
In addition to this I have two front fans blowing air on two hard drives and
a 90mm fan on the back end drawing air out. This of course is in addition to
the power supply fans. About every quarter, (three months) I unhook
everything and bench the box. I use a compressor, which has a filter and a
dryer. As anyone will tell you, compressed air has moisture in it and that
is not a good thing for components.

The main purpose for doing this house keeping is to prolong the physical
life of your computer. For those of you, who may not be well versed or
mechanically inclined, please find a person that is knowledgeable and can
help you. Poking around  inside the box if you are a novice could spell
trouble.

To plagiarize a saying, "May the force be with you".

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 2:00:09 AM

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 2:06:49 AM

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml