From:
Rick Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:06:35 +0100
Hello Daniel,

 > To be perfectly sure you are running xcopy32, just type "xcopy32..." instead
> of "xcopy...."
> Xcopy32 requires the 32 bit hard drive controllers of Win9x to be installed
> and will there for not run in pure DOS. This is also why, as noted in
> another post, it will not run in Safe mode.

This is part of a post from the PCBUILD list that Bill Cohane (IIRC) sent:

Raymond Chen ([log in to unmask]), the author of xcopy, has posted
about this program in the comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win95
newsgroup. The following (from several of Raymond's posts) is quoted:

Don't run xcopy32 directly. Ever. Always run xcopy.
Xcopy.exe...sets up a few things and then runs Xcopy32 with the
appropriate settings...

If you are running in Windows mode, xcopy runs the 32-bit version of
xcopy32.exe. If you are running in DOS mode, xcopy runs the 16-bit
version of xcopy32.exe. (Yes, xcopy32.exe is two, two, two programs
in one.) If you look carefully, xcopy.exe is a tiny little program.
Xcopy is just a little front-end for xcopy32, which is where all the
real work happens... It was a mistake to give that other file the name
"xcopy32.exe". I should've called it "xcopy.mod"...
Xcopy.exe is the only program you should run.

I was given five days to add LFN support to Xcopy...I did what I could
in the time I had...it was easier to add the /h option to the Win95
version than the DOS version. (The DOS version is written in assembly
language. The Win95 version is written in C.)....I had some time left
over, so I added /H and /K and /L and a few other switches to the
32-bit version.

If you are running in DOS mode, then only the DOS xcopy features are
available. Xcopy handles everything, *provided* you run it from within
the Windows 95 GUI. The /H and /K options are supported only in Windows
95 mode.

<<<<<<<

Best regards,
 Rick                            mailto:[log in to unmask]

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html