From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:12:21 -0400
Sounds like your Compaq is a micro-ATX board and the power supply is likely
to be a smaller micro-ATX power supply, compared to the dimenstions of a
standard ATX P/S.  This will be your limitation when looking to upgrade your
power supply, it will need to have external dimensions that will fit into
your case.

220 watts is not a lot by today's standards, but it is fairly typical for a
micro-ATX system.  I wouldn't think that you would have much trouble
upgrading to the the MX4000 card from the Geforce2, but this is because the
chipset is essentially the same.  Although Nvidia calls these MX cards
Geforce4s, this is rather misleading.  The feature set is the same as for
the Geforce2s.  The MX4000 does have faster clock speeds than the original
Geforce2s, I believe; so, it will be somewhat faster, but I wouldn't
consider it s substantial upgrade.

Perhaps you could say a little about what computer uses are prompting you to
think about a new video card, and folks here could suggest whether or not
the cards you are looking at will get the job done for you.  Just as a
general comment, unless you are playing computer games that require 3D
rendering, chances are that the Geforce2 will be fine for desktop
applications.  What it lacks are the hardware capabilities for the latest 3D
rendering bells and whistles found in DirectX 8 and 9, especially the
various new shader technologies.

John Sproule