Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:42:50 EDT
Tom.  After  downloading and installing the Malicious Software Removal Tool,
it must have  done the trick.  I remember seeing that it found one thing, but
when it  finished, I assumed it would show me what it found, but not so.....
it just  stopped running.  But when I turned it on again... those 'reminders'
are gone.  So apparently I got a bad virus or something that my Avast did  not
catch.

But what I want to know now  is, I don't want this Malicious Software Tool on
my computer.  I mistakenly  downloaded it to my desktop and I want it removed
from my registry as well as  totally out of my computer.  How do I do
that...?  Here's the number  of it.  Windows-KB890830-V1.40    I don't want to just
delete it from my desktop, cause I know it is still in my system.  I'm sure  I
must have gotten a virus from some nasty site I landed on.

OR ---- should I do as you  suggested by uninstalling the updates as
mentioned below?   However, I  do feel I picked up some virus.  Thanks so very much
for all the help I have  received.  Harriet
Another suggestion is to uninstall the problem updates (add/remove
programs with "show updates" checked) and then reinstall them. If this
does not work, you could stop the reminders by going to MS update and
when the updates are again listed, click on the plus sign for each
update and then hide the update. From the MS Knowledge site description
the updates are actually being installed (so you have the protection)
but a file (update log??) has not been changed to reflect the
installation. Reformatting the HD is a last resort for solving almost
any problem and does not seem necessary in this case.

I think this  exhausts my input so others may want to jump  in.

Tom

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi   There,
>
> I did all of these you  mentioned including  in the Safe Mode.  It still
says
> I need to download  those  three updates.  My computer is running slow when
> log on and more  so  when I log off.  I installed that Malicious Software
> Removal Tool  to run and see if the Avast overlooked  something.  I  don't
know what
> else to do other than do a  format of the HD.  Thanks for  all your help.
>  Harriet
> ------------------------------
>
> It appears  that you have completed methods 1 & 2. Have you tried method
>  3 as indicated on the MS knowledge site? Hopefully that will work before
> you have to use method 4.
>
> Method 3: Install the update  in Safe Mode.  To do this, follow these steps:
> 1.   Download the update. To do  this, follow these steps:
>  a.     Visit the Microsoft Download Web  site:
>  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads   (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads)
> b.     In the  *Search for a  download* box, type the number of the
Knowledge
>  Base article that describes  the update, and then click *Go*.
>  c.     Download the update, and  then save it to the  desktop.
>
> 2.     Install the update. To do   this, follow these steps:
> a.     Double-click the  downloaded file  to install it.
>
> If you are prompted to  restart the computer, do so.
> b.  Visit the Windows Update or  Microsoft Update Web site to verify
> whether the update is offered  again. If you are offered the update
> again, continue to the next  step.
>
> 3.     Install the update  in Safe  Mode. Safe Mode disables most running
> processes and services.  These  services include the Windows Update
> service. Installing an  update in Safe  Mode is a quick test to verify
> whether an  application or process is  interfering with the installation.
> To  install in Safe Mode, follow these  steps:
> a.      Restart the computer.
> b.     As the  computer  starts, press the F8 key.
> c.     Use the arrow keys  to  choose *Safe Mode*, and then press ENTER.
> d.      Double-click the  file that you downloaded in step 1 to install the

> file.
> e.      When the installation is finished,  restart the computer.
> f.      Visit the Windows Update or  Microsoft Update Web site to verify
> whether the  update is  offered. Alternatively, wait until Automatic
> Updates runs   again.
>

> Method 4: Contact Microsoft  Product Support  for help
>
> Contact Microsoft Product Support for help. To   contact Microsoft Product
> Support, follow these steps:
> 1.   Click *Start*, point to *All Programs*, and then click *Windows
> Update* or  *Microsoft Update*.
> 2.      Click *Get help and support*, and then  follow the instructions on
>  the Web  site.
>

> Tom

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

                     visit our download web page at: