Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:26:27 +1200
I've just started wrestling with the issue of whether or not to try clocking
my new
gfx card, or maybe my system as well.

Perhaps someone might be able to answer these newby-ish queries?

1. I assume that 'Tbred' is a contraction of 'Thoroughbred', a family of AMD
processor.  What designates a Thoroughbred?  Are all of the AMD's with a '+'
sign (2000+ etc) 'Tbreds'?

2. Does overclocking a gfx card produce any result other than getting your
3DMark scores up?  I mean, is there any practical benefit in overclocking -
like better quality in game pictures?  The quality is really all that
interests me - I'm far more likely to play Dungeon Siege or Myst and ooh and
ahh at the fantastic graphics than I am to rejoice over the speed at which I
can react in Doom or Quake.

3. And re overclocking in general (cpu or gfx card), wouldn't it be simpler
to buy something with more grunt to begin with?  Obviously, the more
powerful product will cost more, but assuming that cost isn't a factor,
wouldn't this be preferable?

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown