From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:00:33 -0500
Its hard to make without good stats on differet makes and models an accurate
assessment of the most reliable drives.  It would be interesting to see a
poll in this regard.  I have always "heard" that WD was very reliable, and
noticed that many computer mfgs. use them.   I have never had a problem or
had to replace a bad WD drive.  I have heard of certain models that were
problematic though.

In my experience, Conner (bought out by Seagate awhile back I believe) has
been the worst.  I have had great luck with WD, Maxtor and Seagate, and some
problems with Fujitsu, Quantum,  and Samsung .   Never used the JTS.  Of the
newer 7200 drives, I have been using WD, Maxtor and Quantum  with no
problems (yet), but did have one bad IBM.
Edna Sloan

also.Date:    Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:12:35 -0400
From:    David Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Best Hard drive manufacturer?

I have to agree with you. I do all the hardware support here at a small
college and not a week goes by that I don't have to replace a WD hard
drive. I applaud their diagnostics and the speed with which I recieve
replacements for warranteed hard drives, but it does seem to be an awful
frequent occurence. The people we buy our computers from use WD's  so I
don't have much say in the matter. I just built a new pc for myself and got
one of the new IBM drives. I would also like to hear of other users
experience with Western Digital drives.
David Jarrett

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions