Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 02:48:54 -0500
Update on harddrive--thanks to those who answered.

I ran chkdsk which took a long time and clicking/freezing
lessened.   I didn't check the SMART status of the drive because I
didn't know how.    I do have Dell Diagnostics on a FAT partition of
the drive and it reported 1 problem.

I don't have a USB adapter, so I swapped out my D: drive with the new
hard drive. Then, I cloned the C: to the new drive in D: with
Acronis.   Along the way I learned something I didn't know and others
may benefit from.   There was no install disk which came with the new
drive.  I used my Acronis to "add a new drive".   However, My
Computer wouldn't display the drive and I couldn't format it.   The
Bios showed both drives were recognized.  What I learned is that one
can go to My Computer/Manage which brings up a Computer Management
Window.   I selected Disk Management and the drives displayed.   I
was able to format the drive from there.

So, the new drive is now my C: drive with everything intact.   The
machine is running beautifully.  Thanks for the suggestions answering
that my plan was feasible.

Sue Na

At 01:33 AM 3/17/2010, you wrote:
>The clicking sound often indicates serious problems are imminent. Have
>you checked the SMART status? There are many diagnostic prams available,
>and your drive manufacturer probably offers one.
>
>Chkdsk /r might help, but replacing the drive sounds like the best plan.
>Your clone and replace plan will work. I have used a USB adapter to do
>this in the past to save all the drive swapping.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com