From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:50:56 -0400
Go to http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/BIOSBeepCodes.asp, which is one of many sites listing beep codes.  Need to know what BIOS you have, Award, Phoenix, whatever to determine what it means. I ran a google search for "bios beep codes" and got a lot of hits, many for different BIOS's.

Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>The Problem:
>Sometimes on startup instead of the single Beeeep which always precedes a
>normal boot
>it goes Beeeeep Beep Beep Beep (long short short short) and the screen
>stays black. in fact the main monitor stays in sleep mode.
>
>Other indicators are:
>3D games (Grand theft auto, Diablo II) started seizing up after a few
>minutes and particularly when things got busy. Sometimes the screen would
>go all weird colours. (there may have been a beep involved there too). I
>haven't tried gaming for a while.
>
>My system is:
>AMD Athlon 2400+
>500meg DDR Ram
>Asus A7N 266 VM Motherboard
>Raedon 9200 series (128meg RAM) Video
>Creative SB Live! sound card
>Realteck RTL8139 (A) PCI fast ethernet adapter
>Firewire card (unknown)
>NOTE: I use the digital video output to run a second CRT monitor via an
>inline adapter. this has never caused a problem before.
>
>What have I tried?
>Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, sometimes I need to turn
>off the ups and leave it for a minute or two before it will boot
>properly... sounds like heat to me but all fans are working ok.
>I thought the video card might be getting hot but the heat sink is barely
>warm to the touch. (I've not tried this during gaming though) There is no
>fan on this video card.
>
>The only reliable way I can make it fail is via gaming but it has failed at
>other times. I cant see any usage pattern there though.
>
>I am tempted to go and buy a new video card (it could do with an upgrade
>anyway) but I'm worried it may be something else altogether. flaky ram
>perhaps?
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated
>Leigh

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                     visit our download web page at: