From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:14:48 -0500
From: Art Cassel :Subject: [PCBUILD] IDE Controlers

> Help!!  Due to a major act of stupidity on my part (long story), I have
> deleted my Primary and secondary IDE controllers.  System;
> Abit BX 6 Rev2
> Maxtor 13.6 gig HD (primary master)
> Asus 40X CD (secondary master)
> HP 7570 CD-R (secondary slave)
> Win 98
>
> BIOS detects HD on Primary 1.  Both IDE controllers enabled in BIOS.
> Red x's on primary and secondary IDE controllers in device manager.
> Says no drivers installed for device in both,  Points to mchdc.inf (in
> Windows INF folder) when trying to update drivers.  Get a "windows
> couldn't install error" with an error 69 message when trying to
> install.  I have pointed it at backups of mshdc.inf with the same
> result.
>
> It sees HD (drives C-L) and functions, but fails to detect the two CD's
> on secondary.  Same problem in DOS.  Am I stuck with a complete
> reinstall of Windows? Help!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Art Cassel

Art,

I have several Abit boards including the BX6 rev 2 and I can't find the
mchdc.inf file on any of my computers.  To reinstall the bus master drivers
you should be able to delete all entries under the "Hard Disk Controllers"
in Device Manager, may cause the machine to lock up - at least it did under
Win95 as I remember, reboot and Win 98 should auto detect and install the
correct drivers.  The entries under the "Hard Disk Controllers" in Device
Manager should read:

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
  Primary IDE Controller [dual FIFO]
  Secondary IDE Controller [dual FIFO]

If this doesn't work try using "Add New Hardware" manager in Control Panel,
the Intel82371AB/EB driver should show up in your window.

Hope this helps.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org