From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:43:15 -0700
Actually, you could do this two ways.  You can create an "ad hoc" wireless
network by installing one wireless card in the PC and one in the laptop.
You set it up much the same way as you would using two network cards and a
cross-over cable, only without the cable and you can add more than just two
systems.  This would be the least expensive way to do it.

The other way would be to get the wireless router you mentioned, then get
the wireless card for the laptop.  The router will be more expensive, but
will have the advantage of being usable for additional wired as well as
wireless connections and it can be used as a firewall.  You could just buy
an access point and plug it into a hub or switch, but if you don't already
have a hub/switch, the router is the way to go.  Personally, I got an access
point because I already had a switch.  Looking back on it, I wish I had got
the router for the firewall capabilities.  I'm really kicking myself because
the router was only $10 more than the AP.

As far as brands are concerned, I'm absolutely SOLD on D-Link.  I've had
tremendous success with them, and they have 24 hour free tech support (I
can't remember if it's an 800 number or not).  I've also heard good things
about Netgear and Linksys, but I don't have any personal experience with
them.  YMMV.

The next thing you need to concern yourself with is the speed.  I bought the
"+" version of the D-Link line, which is their base 11mbs system times two.
It is actually two 11mbs channels running in parallel for a total speed of
22mbs.  There's a 54mbs variety, which I believe is the 802.11g standard (as
opposed to the 802.11b).  My total cost for the AP and 2 PCMCIA cards was
$260 (I'm sure it would be a little less now).  The same setup with the
54mbs system would have been about $450, while the 11mbs system would have
been around $180.  If all you are doing is light network file transfers,
network printing, and Internet surfing, the 11mbs system should be more than
adequate.  All of the brands have varying models of each speed that I
mentioned.

I hope this helps!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
them.