From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:12:39 -0800
On 13 Mar 98 at 20:36, Bob Wright wrote:

> Adaptec cards are not nearly as expensive as you have stated,
> at least not for the last year.   You can get a their 2940UW or
> their best card for around $180 in an OEM package.   This card
> supports standard SCSI, Ultra SCSI and Ultra-Wide SCSI...
> and has an external port.   The price ranges down from there.

  Technically, the 2940UW is not Adaptec's "best card".  It is,
however, at the high-end of what a single-user workstation or home
machine can justify, and $200 is certainly nearer the current price
than $300.  [I haven't seen the "UW" variant below $200, but I
haven't looked in a month or two.]
  I've heard generally positive things about Diamond's FirePort
cards, if the 2940 is out of your price range.  I would say that if
that's still too much, you may be better off with EIDE/UDMA than a
cheap SCSI adapter.

David G