From:
Kevin Bachelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:28:37 -0400
At 01:30 AM 4/24/03, you wrote:
>Date:    Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:39:24 -0400
>From:    Pop <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Attn. Frank: Message from PCSOFT moderator
>
>         Hello,   A request for help:-
>I've been advised by several 'experts' to reinstall my operating system
>at regular intervals.  This procedure is said to be the only practical
>way to clear up certain fatal faults which crop up.
>        My operating system for several years has been Windows 98.  I
>have tried reinstalling using the original master CD to the original
>location and address.  However I do not see an option to simply REPAIR
>- thus keeping the myriad of updates and customizing accomplished over
>the years - rather than obliterating the old installation.  It would
>seem so tedious to re-do everything.  Is it necessary?
>          How can I 're-install' while retaining my present
>particulars?  Is there any way?
>            Many thnks for your attention,        Frank Warhurst

Frank,

As you mentioned there really isn't a "repair" option for the operating
system.  Part of the reason why this "cleansing" is recommended is because
by doing a complete reinstall of the operating system and all your programs
you essential remove all the old files and settings you no longer need.

Hard drives have become so large and inexpensive many people now choose to
configure their PCs with two partitions (a C and D drive).  They install
the operating system and programs on the C drive but keep all their data
files on the D drive.  When they feel it is time to clean things up they
can easily wipe out the C drive and reinstall everything without losing any
critical data.

Good luck,

Kevin

Kevin Bachelder

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - Windows NT 4.0 (MCSE)
Microsoft Certified Professional - Windows 2000 (MCP)
Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)
CompTIA A+ Certified Computer Repair Technician (A+)