Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:22:40 -0500
A friend has an old computer running Win98 with a CD-Rom and a CD-RW
installed. She recently lost use of both CD's. They appear in the device
manager without any yellow or red marks and it reports that they are
working fine. However, when the computer boots, it produces an error
message that indicates it cannot find a type of SCSI file. However, the
CD-Rom units are IDE. It's a little confusing to me.

However, I do know that putting in a CD-Rom with files on it, nothing
appears in Windows Explorer. Is there a program that can be used to
analyze what has happened?

Already tried to disconnect the CD-Rom's and boot without them and
disable in device manager to 'lose' them and then hook them back up and
boot again to find them. But they don't get "lost" (which may be good
because I found out latter that she doesn't have any cdr's with the CD's
operating programs on them.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jean Bourvic