From:
Russ Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:59:30 -0500
I have a Compaq Presario 5050, 333MHz Celeron, 164MB RAM running Windows
ME.  Two perplexing issues:
It spends a full minute or more showing the Compaq splash screen with no
apparent hard disk activity.  Then it proceeds to boot up into ME.
Takes more than 2 minutes to fully boot, quite a bit longer than other
computers using the same connection. What's causing that long startup
delay? Any remedy?
I want to install a NIC temporarily so I can download updates.  When I
install a 3COM NIC, the computer tries to boot from the network and of
course fails. Then it hangs and will not proceed to boot.  There is no
boot sequence choice in setup so I can't eliminate the network boot
option.  Any ideas?
I did install a Best Data 56k modem that I've had good results with
before, but the connect speeds are too slow to use it for downloading
updates.  This may be another problem.  I typically get 40-46k line
speeds.  This modem seldom gets more than 38k, which may be alright, but
it spends long periods of no activity when connected - no incoming or
outgoing data.  Same result at different times of day. This might be an
ISP problem, although I've never experienced it before.
Yes, I do have a broadband service as well as dial up. Broadband
connections to this ISP work just fine. I've tried several different
access numbers to the ISP with no real change.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads