From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:06:05 -0400
Unlike the FIC PA2013, a 486 SX motherboard will not autodetect
the drive during its post (power on self test).  You don't mention
your settings in CMOS for the drive.  If the BIOS supports LBA
there should be a menu selection within the CMOS MENU allowing
you to detect the drive.  This will set it up properly, otherwise
you need to enter the cylinder, heads, and sector values by hand.
Look through the menus for mention of LBA and make sure it is
enabled.  You can use the disk without LBA by setting the cylinders
to 1024, (heads = 16 sectors = 63).  This will yield about 512 MB
(528,482,000 bytes).  You will need to repartition and reformat the
drive to use it again with these settings.

As for your choice of operating systems, I agree with the other
posters that you would do much better to consider win95, any
version except C (OSR 2.5).  With 12 meg of ram it will run,
24 meg or over and the pc will be modestly useful.

Tom Turak