From:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:41:33 EDT
Hi Steve,

    Looks like you've run into a classic BIOS/OS/PCI conflict...

    In an effort to "help" Plug and Pray PCI with the advent of AGP, MB
manufactures decided to make PCI IRQs (5, 9, 10, 11) "automatic" as a default
in the BIOS settings. This was a great idea at first, but Window 9X OSs
sometimes saw things different. See, you DSL modem is more network card than
modem and is seen as such by Windows.

    First, make sure all PCI slots in BIOS are assigned an IRQ and are not in
auto.
    Second, assign your sound card PCI slot IRQ 5 (WIndows seems to like this
best).
    Third, start computer in "Safe Mode" by holding down the F8 key.
    Forth, go into Device Manager and REMOVE all items listed that are in PCI
slots (sound cards, old modems, new DSL, etc... you can clean up any double
copies of anything else while your in there).
    And fifth, restart system and let Windows go to work...

    It should find all the hardware installed and make a better "fit". If not,
reassign all but the IRQ 5/sound card IRQs and try it again...

    Hope this helps.

    Max

    P.S., The SB Live 1024 problem I saw in another post, this might help you
as well...

    I added an Intel PRO/DSL 2100 Modem to an available PCI slot and booted
the system. Windows detects new hardware, PCI to ATM Controller, and asks for
a driver. When I insert the CD provided with the modem, things go hay-wire.
Windows gives me a blue screen...

    I can't run the setup for the modem, I can't even drop the CD into the
drive without this sequence taking place.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org