From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:16:20 -0800
Sounds like heat or memory.  What type of processor?  I had a Cyrix 233MHz
that had the same problem with the lockups.  Reboots are more commonly
associated with memory, at least in my experience, but a processor that's
too hot can do the same thing.

Heavy dust on the heatsink can greatly reduce it's efficiency.  Also, if
there is no thermal grease or paste between the heatsink and processor, it
is much more susceptible to heat problems.  This would be a great time to
make sure you are using a thermal agent (if not, add one), and blow out the
dust from the heat sink as well.

Either way, the problems you are describing are more likely hardware than
software.

Kyle Elmblade

>From: Terrence Nolley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] PC Freezing...
>Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:11:25 -0500
>
>Hello All,
>

>             I have a Win2K generic box (196MB RAM, 233 MHZ processor)
>that has started to "freeze up" on a daily basis and every now and then
>may reboot itself while in various applications.  So far I've run
>scandisk (thorough), defrag and Norton SystemWorks 2002 without any
>success in resolving the issues.  Any suggestions would be gladly
>appreciated.

>Terrence Nolley

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com