From:
Robert Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:48:01 -0500
Does any one know of a router/switch that will network two (winMe)
computers and share a dial up internet connection.  I too have the SMC
Barricade 7004ABR  but have not been able to get it to successfully
maintain an internet connection for more than about 4 hours.  Right now I
am using WinMe Internet connection software but it is fluky.  It works well
for weeks then for some reason it takes both computers to reboot several
times before it will work.
The computers are networked through a cross overcable, though I used a
straight through with the barricade.
Looking at the web page for the Linksys BEFSR41 I believe it will only work
for a cable connection?
thanks for any suggestions

re:
From:    joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SMC Barricade Router

I have written several messages about the SMC Barricade 7004ABR
router/switchbox, and my computers logging in and logging out so that I can
never count on being networked for file and printer sharing.  Today I
installed the Linksys BEFSR41, ver.2, and without any configuration at all
(my settings were already correct) I got on the Internet and the computers
could see each other.  All the problems of the past 9 months, and two units
from SMC, were because these units don't work.  One of those rare cases
where it really isn't something you're doing wrong.  Thanks to all who made
suggestions, and particularly to Doug for suggesting that I get the Linksys.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml