From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:59:18 -0400
Hi,

1) yes some new boards are going to use 24 pin (formally used on servers)
connectors.  There are adapters to switch 24 to 20 pin connectors.

2) I believe the in line 6 is for use with now "older" p4 boards with RAMBUS
memory, now not a current option, so do not worry about it.

3) Monitor sockets have in deed gone south, I don't think because of costs,
as much as the change in power supply design    from AT to ATX, that is how
they actually work.

        new boards and OS's do allow for power management that can suspend
and shut down the monitor.  A master switch on a        good SURGE protector
is probably the best way though.

Joe Lore

My seven year old power supply seems to have failed.  I have made some
observations and have some questions that somebody here might be able to
answer.

1)  A 24 pin motherboard connector is available on some new power supplies.
I believe that this is for dual-cpu motherboards.  "Express."  Will most
motherboards be using the express 24-pin connectors in the future?  (I had
never heard of these before.)

2)  There is a new connector with six pins in line on my new p.s.  What
would this be there for?

3) (a)  There is no socket for plugging in my monitor, so I have to manually
turn it on and off.  Has the monitor socket gone South with the need to cut
costs?

    (b)  Is there another way of doing this (other than a master switch, of
course)?  I find that after almost 20 years of not turning off the monitor,
I am now leaving it on when I shut down the computer.  My monitor is fairly
old I guess.  Do the new monitors "turn on" automatically by sensing a video
signal?

TIA,

Dean Kukral

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: