From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:46:40 -0400
With a 1.2 gig hard disk, I assume you have support for LBA in the cmos
settings, which tells me you probably have on board ide and 72 pin simms for
memory.  I would add an additional 16 meg of ram and load win95.  For a 486
not on a network (the drivers need lots of ram to keep performance up) the
ram sweet spot is somewhere between 16 and 24 meg, after which the bang for
the buck starts to tail off.  You can sometimes find an Evergreen or
Kingston overdrive cpu off of ebay for 5 or 10 dollars that will fit any 486
using a 33 mhz bus, (486 bus speeds are usually 25, 33, or 40 mhz) and that
will give you low range Pentium performance.  With the ram upgrade alone you
would have a bunch of 32 bit browsers and email packages to choose from.  I
did this for a couple pc's way back when, and they worked fine for dial-up
modems, of course finding 56k modems for 486's presents another problem,
since you can't use winmodems.

If you want to be really adventurous, load linux instead of microsoft o/s.
That gives another set of software to choose from for browsing and email.
Tom Turak