From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:36:41 -0800
On  4 Nov 98 at 17:12, Roberto Safora wrote:

> I considered EX chipset was only for Celeron. However a
> manufacturer is offering an EX based motherboard, very cheap, as
> valuable for PII up to 333 MHz, and of course for Celeron.
> Is it possible?
> If so. Any difference in performance related to LX or BX chipsets?

  The EX chipset is aimed, by Intel, at the same market as the
Celeron -- low-end systems.  As such, most EX systems offer few
expansion slots and run only at 66 MHz.  "Mixing and matching" is
possible; PIIs will run just fine at 66 MHz (and many were designed
for this speed) and many Celerons will work at 100 (although they are
NOT designed for this, and Intel does not encourage it).

  If you already have a PII, but your needs are modest, an EX board
may be right for you.  But you're likely to see better performance
and flexibility in a BX board instead.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html