From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:07:27 -0600
I think that the original suggestion to purchase a new router (with wireless) is still the best.  You will want to establish some
form of security over the wireless portion so that people driving by cannot access your computer systems?  The integrated router
will help you do that.  You will need at the very least to purchase some kind of contraption to plug into one of your computers or
your router.  Why not do it right to begin with!

My D-link wireless router came with Network Magic, which made it very easy to set up and share files and printers.  Network Magic
was a free program for a small network, but costs $50, if I recall correctly, for a larger one.  (Depends on the number of nodes.)
The router makes it easier to set up the security over the wireless portion.  I have moved to a Windows Home Server, which is nice
for automatic backups, but Network Magic actually gave better connections and direct file sharing.  (Of course, if you are a
networking expert, you might be able to do all of what you want to do without any additional software.)   You can read about Network
Magic at http://www.purenetworks.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?gclid=CMe78-zZ7ZYCFQJNagodKgaorw&src=google&kw=network+magic.  One
thing about Network Magic that I did not like was that it frequently "called home" with information about my system.  I am probably
just paranoid, because I doubt that D-link would offer malware with their router.

HTH

Dean Kukral