From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 05:41:30 -0500
Cost of the cards should be almost the same [at least it is wholesale].  The
basic difference as I understand it is that the AGP is a newer/faster bus
specifically designed for video.  Performance response will be better with
the AGP, but you may only notice it if you use your computer for something
in which video response is critical, such as gaming or perhaps CAD work.

One drawback to AGP, is that since SVGA is not a fully developed standard,
card makers use slightly different methods for some of their enhancements.
As this is a brand new world of computing,some of your older software may
not work properly with the AGP card.  For instance, Reachout version 7.0
works perfectly with the ATI xpert@work 4meg PCI video card.  If you install
Reachout 7.0 on a machine with an ATI xpert@work 4meg AGP video card,
Windows 95 will not boot except in safe mode.  The only way to get the
system to work is to upgrade Reachout to version 8.0.

Bottom line is that if you have a need for the AGP, then go for it.
However, if you do not have a specific need, then it *may* be less touble to
stick with PCI.

Mike Buraczewski